Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Obesity is an issue?

OK, I know obesity is a problem. Its a huge issue. People all over are becoming more overweight and lazier everyday. I know I am in no way in the best shape of my life...in fact I'm not sure I have ever been in the best shape of my life. But that's beside the point...


So I went to my son's 6th grade parent/teacher conferences, where I met with all 9 teachers, I'm proud to say he is doing really well in school.

Well all except for PE - one of his favorite classes, and it wasn't a bad behavior or not dressing up report.

Let me start over. I met with his PE teacher who told me my son was doing great in his class, but they have started doing this cardiovascular test called PACER and my son failed miserably.
(If you are not familiar with the PACER test - basically my understanding is they run laps as many times as they can.)

So he proceeds to tell me that Darin was supposed to run a minimum of 32 - he ran 23, and that since he was unable to run the minimum of 32 laps he is on the verge of being obese and that I should really consider getting him in some activities and not just sitting around watching TV.

I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped -in fact I know it did because I had a bruise on my chin from it hitting the floor & he said, "I'm guessing by the look on your face, this is a surprise."

"Well yea, ya think...are you sure we are talking about the same person? I mean, you've seen my kid right? 5'3", 100 pounds, looks like a skinny stick."

He looks at me straight faced and says, "yes, but this test says he is overweight and on the verge of being obese"

I'm trying to hold back the hysterical laughter and ask "but you've looked at him right? and have you actually talked to him? Because he plays hockey and it just got started the first part of October, it is all he thinks about, he spends 2-3 nights a week on the ice and this is just pre-season. How much more time do you want him not sitting on the couch? Because this doesn't include his time to and from school and his bike rides to friends houses, roller blading on the weekends and street hockey"

He says, "well i'm just saying, according to these test results he really needs to be more active, obesity is a huge problem with our youth"

I'm still stunned - I mean, I know obesity is an issue, but with school lunches being, well, lacking... and me knowing how much and what he eats at home and how active he is... I think they should be worrying about some other kids that have a visible problem, not that I don't appreciate the concern... but have you seen my son?

So I smile and say "ok I will let him know that he isn't active enough and that starting tonight he is now enrolled in the program for 'the morbidly not obese, but the test says I am, boot camp.'
Are you planning to retest, I would be really interested in those results"

I asked Darin what he remembered about the PACER test and why he was only able to run 23 laps, come to find out, that was right after the weekend he twisted his ankle at the skating rink. Hmmm maybe they should talk to the kids, ask some questions before jumping to conclusions based on a poor test result. Obviously, if you are looking at a child who is not obese don't you think that would throw up a red flag and make you question what's up?

Maybe he just didn't feel like running... (said in my best Forest Gump voice)

1 comment:

  1. BTW - he was retested in November and ran 53 laps. He bypassed the requirement by a few at least!

    ReplyDelete